Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Saved Myself from Summer School

I am my own superhero.

As you all should be informed, it is time to sign up for summer classes. Last year I took English 110 during Summer Session II. I did pretty well with a B+, however it did suck going to class MTWR for four hours straight during the "time off".

I obviously can't take a Summer Session I class because I will be in Israel for two of those weeks. Summer Session II will start the day after I get back, which is when my dad will be here. I was considering taking a class just incase I needed a little wiggle room for something going wrong. It's not that I was having a negative outlook, I was simply being prepared for the fact that life and mistakes happen. The counselor at school had told me there were technically only 5 classes I had left to take to transfer to a CSU with an Associate Degree in Journalism. After meeting with her at 1:30 pm the day before sign ups (April 11th), I spent six hours trying to figure out my best solution path for the last of my SBCC classes. While doing so, in my last hour I saw that the COMM 171 (Mass Media and Society) that I need to take is not only required for a Journalism transfer, it is smack dab right on the IGETC (list of required general ed classes to chose from at SBCC) sheet under Social and Behavioral Sciences. It was one of those hallelujah moments let me tell you! All night I couldn't help but hope that when I was going to go into the counselor's office the next morning, April 12th, that they would tell me that it counts for both sections. Therefore, I will only have to take 4 classes.

So I guess me trying to figure it out for 6 hours was better than spending 45 plus hours in an extra class I didn't want to take. However, I wasn't done. Nope, I was considering emailing an online Summer Session I professor to find out if I could finish the class early before my trip to Israel. You see, if I took a Summer I and Summer II class I could be eligible to apply to transfer to a CSU in the Spring. If you have 60 credits or more by the end of the Summer session at one college before transferring to a CSU in the Spring, you are eligible to apply. After Spring 2016 I will have 54.....that means I would need to take 2 classes (6 unites) in the summer.

If there is one thing I have learned from the trial of going off to college and the oh so loved process of "adulting", it is sometimes you need to live your life to the fullest and let go of the stress because being happy conquers all fear. I am going to enjoy my summer in Israel, my dad's visit, and whatever the rest of the summer has in store for me. I am going to take extra PE classes at SBCC (like I did with Ocean Swimming) because only here can you take a Kayaking or Beach Volleyball class right on or next to the ocean. They are only a credit or a credit and a half, but that's not the point. It will help raise my grade while having a little fun. And that's kind of what college is about. We as college students have the rest of our life to not be in school after we graduate, so we might as well make the most of it! I am also advised to take a Photography class before I take a required Photojournalism class. I tried to learn how to use one of those nicer cameras when I took Photojournalism in high school, which taught me that I need to learn how to use a complicated camera before I take Photojournalism again. Anyways...I need to write an essay on incarcerated and ex-felons and I was procrastinating by blogging because this seemed a little more fun. Have I told you I can't wait till Summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment