Monday, April 18, 2016

Dodgers vs Giants

I gathered with Santa Barbara students and volunteers this past Saturday at Hillel to go to one of my favorite places in LA, the Dodger's Stadium. Boy, I had not been here in a decade and it felt thrilling to get to go there with a big group of people!

 I'm originally from Southern California and my dad is obsessed with baseball, especially the Dodgers. So I grew up going to Dodgers games and I enjoy them even more now than I did as a kid because I appreciate the game. I grew up playing all sorts of sports, one of them was softball. Second base was my favorite position. I was training to pitch and I was getting really good at it. My small town in LeClaire, Iowa couldn't seem to get enough girls for the next season. We already had to play older girls and at this age we weren't even informed about stealing bases! Moral of the story is...I stopped playing because my town was too small and I got caught up in other things moving around all the time. That did not take my love away for the game!


It's not about what team is better, it's about supporting your team through thick and thin. I love where I am from and I will support the teams where I am from, no matter if they are winning championships or not even making it to the play-offs. Most of my memories consist of the Dodgers losing at almost every game I went to including this one (Giants 4 Dodgers 3). HOWEVER!!!! The Dodgers won overall against them 3 to 1. Of course I was at the game they lost, but oh well. Sorry I'm such bad luck, I just can't help myself from coming to a game or two! I hope to go this summer when my dad is in town, he hasn't been to a Dodgers game in an even longer time than I have. We have seen them at other stadiums though across the U.S.. I Facetimed my dad for a few minutes during the game like the goof I am, I just had to! And I am glad I did. His face lit up like I remember it yeaaaaarrrrsss ago. It was one of those moments you know you did something to make your parents happy. 

Two pretty scary things happened after the game. A fight broke out in the parking lot between two women. One of them was holding a child and had to hand him over, it was a pretty sickening sight. Next, after we had left, there was a huge fatal collision right behind us on the freeway. Everyone, including myself made it passed it on the 101 before it had happened except for one of the group of cars from SB Hillel. They got stuck in major traffic. 

The guy next to me in the picture above is going on my same Birthright trip! It was nice to meet someone who I will be sharing such a huge experience with and I can't wait to meet the rest coming up here pretty soon :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment