Friday, April 15, 2016

5 Years Later

4/15/2011
Five years ago today I started my chemotherapy treatment for Hodgkin's Lymphoma. It's one of those things that
you look back on and say, "That feels like forever ago." But then when you really think about it and you see the old pictures you say, "That feels like it was yesterday, I cannot believe this much time has passed by." 

Usually I think about these types of things a lot, but today I totally forgot until now. I just got back from the gym and it's crazy to think that five years ago from today that wouldn't have been possible. 

When I started chemotherapy treatment I was 138lbs. That is the most I've ever weighed. By the end of it, I dropped down to about 100lbs. In one of those nights....I lost 8 pounds. Yeah! Woo! Not fun! I weighed myself today after going to the gym for about 4 months now and eating decently healthy on the weekdays. It took me 4 months to lose 10 pounds, whereas 5 years ago, the awful treatment made me lose almost 40 pounds in that same timespan. 
4/15/2011

I cannot tell you how hard it is to wrap my head around how far I've come. Just because someone, anyone, who has had to go through cancer treatment seems like they are done battling it, they aren't. I'm not going to lie, I've had my struggles psychologically and physically from cancer and you all have been with me through my blogs to see that these past almost 2 years. It doesn't go away, it was a traumatic experience. I'll also admit, I feel like a part of me is missing not engaging in a cancer organization like I used to. This will change once school ends, I am looking into the Teddy Bear Cancer Organization. That was one of the biggest reasons besides Israel that I decided not to do summer school. I can feel that I need to get back in touch with the kind of strength having cancer gave me. The people in these types of organizations are simply phenomenal as well! Hopefully that will inspire me to get back into my autobiography and finish that thing! I know it will. No excuses...but last week within two days I spent a grand total of 14-16 hours working on an essay. The reason I can't tell you how many hours exactly is because 1) I was completely brain fried and 2) There was a little bit of procrastination. But hey, 14-16 hours working on the same thing deserves a little bit of that! 



Today April 15, 2016 I am cancer free and chemotherapy can kiss my booty! I live, pray, and hope for the best of what is and what will become of my life after cancer. This is a day that I don't necessarily celebrate like I would my remission day...My remission anniversaries remind me of the day I felt like I was born again, it's honestly like a second birthday to me. This anniversary however, reminds me of the treatment that changed my life forever. I had no choice but to be strong starting today five years ago. Do me a favor, give somebody a hug today! Everyone is battling something because everyone was a survivor of yesterday and today. Wish I could hug you all through my blog, but ya know....that type of thing hasn't been invented yet! So here <3 

1 comment:

  1. Love ya Kiddo. Your family appreciates all your hard work during and since that horrible day.
    Uncle D.

    ReplyDelete