Sunday, February 28, 2016

Mi Ojos

I am getting old.















For roughly a year now, I have been squinting in my very first pair of glasses which I got during  junior year of high school. Then, I basically had the most mild prescription you could possibly have. However recently I knew it was time for a new prescription for new pair of glasses, maybe contacts...so I thought.

About two weeks ago at Costco I had an appointment to get my full eye exam. I went in knowing these three things:
1. I was probably going to be really uncomfortable when they would put my contacts in. However, I knew I needed them because I don't like wearing glasses all day. Also, my vision without anything has gotten to the point where it bugs me all day.
2. My prescription had gotten a lot worse and I would probably be squinting, laughing at how I wouldn't be able to read the letters on the board.
3. I couldn't wait to see clearly!

Laughed at myself for being blind *check*!
Could see (more than) clearly with the new prescription *check*!
Was really uncomfortable when the doctor put in my contacts for the first time *check check check check check check check check check*!!!!!!!


I almost can't even tell you how embarrassing that was. As soon as the doctor put in the first contact, then the second one I was nauseous, overheating, shaking, light-headed and my stomach felt like it was spinning. I JUST WANTED THE CONTACTS OUT. The doctor didn't want to take them out and make it worse, however we tried leaving them in and my anxiety was not getting any better....it was getting worse. I rushed outside the doctors office in front of the whole Costco store about 2 or 3 times. Him and the nurse were doing everything they could to not get me to faint when I was back in the room.  Eventually even though I wasn't better, I told him just to take them out. It was a "are you sure?" "no, but do it anyways" sort of thing. Afterwards he looked up what could've be wrong, it's called Vasovagal Syncope. It is basically the physical feelings of fight or flight you get from something feared (something touching my eye). Him and the other doctor said they have had a few out of many people they've examined have this occur. Apart from that, they also said I have astigmatism, ya know, like the old contact commercial with the two blonde twins.

I was informed to lay down for half an hour. During that time I told the doctor about my nightmare from a week before where I woke up blind. We both agreed we'd choose to be deaf over blind and that being able to see was a gift. The nurse offered me a ride home after I calmed down, but I said I'd be okay, home was only a couple mile away. I was treated so well by this office I highly recommend it if you need to get a new eye prescription! I received my eye glasses a week later on a rainy day. I was telling my friend Joseph "I can see clearly now, the rain is NOT gone". Haha. Oh...incase you didn't come to the conclusion from all I said already no, I will not be getting contacts anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment