Monday, March 14, 2016

Getting Interviewed

Today I finally got a haircut. I really should start getting them more often now that my hair is longer. It was the longest it has ever been and 3 inches off later, it still is! This might not mean much to those who don't know. Ever since college I have stopped telling people my little secret unless I become close to them. I struggled through high school with my remission and growing my hair out from the scalp, so people were bound to find out then.

Last week I experienced one of those positive things that come from being a cancer survivor. It was one of those moments that I took in and thought to myself...my fight was worth it.

In my journalism class, our teacher partnered us up to practice interviewing for our upcoming article. Hayden and I were interviewing each other. He started out asking me questions, which I honestly became nervous about. I didn't want him to feel any differently when it was time for me to interview him incase the subject came up. (Later I found out he was a twin which was pretty cool). First, he started asking me about my major. Then asked why I chose writing. I told him I love and care for people in general. Spreading awareness by writing in order to care for those around me is my thing. Writing things down lets out my creativity and thoughts. He then proceeded to ask what I like to spread awareness about. Also asking, what in my life happened to make me want to spread cancer awareness. WHOOP THERE IT IS. It was one of those moments I couldn't help but smirk knowing there was no way around this without saying it. So...I told him.
The whip's newest accessory
And he told the entire class. Yep, I was not expecting that. Usually people are just like "Oohh...I'm sorry" and then it's freakin awkward. The teacher called on him first, asking how the interview process went. Hayden said, "You learn things about someone that you never would've known about them before." The teacher then asked, "What did you learn about Angela?". Hayden sat in silence for a few seconds, looked back at me for 1/4 of a second (not enough time for me to shake my head in approval or disapproval), and said, "Angela is a cancer survivor."

The entire class started clapping, yelling, "Whooo!!" as I sat there smiling wide and watery eyed. I was then asked by the teacher how old I was. Fifteen.  "DAMN" a classmate of mine said in shock. You could feel everyone's hearts drop in the room. I left class as a guy held the door open for me saying "YOU GO, YOU GO GIRL. I've never heard of a class applauding someone. Seriously! YOU GO!"  I stepped out that classroom knowing my classmates may not look at me the same again next class. I will never forget that moment. Sometimes I forget how strong I am and this...this was an awesome reminder.

No comments:

Post a Comment