Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Accidents Happen

I'm going to keep this post as simple and sweet as I can. My goal this year was obviously to keep things on a positive note. Well the good news is that that is still possible. By keeping my head held high, I am making it possible. Happiness is decided and controlled within yourself and your own thoughts, it is not controlled by the events surrounding you. The last thing I wanted to blog about was another event in which has caused drama in my life. However, I think that this post can be a good lesson towards college students who are ever in a dangerous situation or to those who are living on their own for the first time with a kitchen.

Monday afternoon as I was getting ready for work, I was thinking about how I have a meeting with the counselor on Tuesday morning, but that I didn't have anything to necessarily talk about because things were going pretty well. I'm ready for work in a great mood, say goodbye to my roommates, and go to work acting all happy with customers telling them that my day is great as well. Little did I know, a fire formed in our kitchen while I was at work. No missed calls or texts from my roommates, I grab some employee food and sit down on my phone and scroll through social media. I stumble upon Facebook to see that there was a fire at my apartment and I called my roommate right away and headed over there. By the time I got home the fire department, police, and apartment manager had already left. The accident was my fault. I never knew what a broiler was and I had never seen one in my life. I guess someone left a sheet pan in there from another set of roommates before us, so I thought that the broiler was a storage area for the oven. There is not much storage in our apartment, especially the kitchen, so I put a couple more sheet pans, including a cutting board in there. NEVER DO THAT!!!

I took off a full day of school on Tuesday to work on cleaning the apartment because the kitchen was covered in dust from this happening. I sort of felt like a hard-core Cinderella. The good news is that nobody was hurt, the oven is being replaced, and all of our important belongings were safe in our rooms. Talking with the counselor and the apartment manager, they both informed me that accidents like this happen all the time and that they themselves have done something like this before. EVERYTHING IS OKAY! I feel horrible for the accidental situation I put my roommates in and am just so thankful of the helped we received.

Negative situations will surround you, this world is full of them. However, it is possible to separate your right to happiness from them. Everyone deserves happiness. This world can be so positive and so beautiful if you let it be. Example A: This is the view of the sunrise from my bedroom window the same day the fire happened.  I'm usually not up that early to see it but I got up early to take my roommate to the doctors. The beautiful thing about that was I was able to help someone and for once it wasn't me having to go there for myself . #thatwassolastyear

No comments:

Post a Comment