Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Falling Into Place

I just had one of those "I'm doing pretty good" moments. Even though I'm a week into a bad cold I caught, I couldn't help but realize this despite my busy schedule barely allowing me time to think. It's weird to say this, but I swear I'm happier the busier I am. I think it's because I feel like I've been waiting my whole life for these moments and I couldn't be more ready to experience it all. Sometimes in the midst of all the chaos one of the best things you can do for yourself is take a small moment out of your day to reflect.

The other day I texted my friend Danielle asking her to come watch the sunset with me. She replied, "Omg I want to so badly but I'm doing homework." Well.... I convinced her, and she ended up being glad that I did. You'd be surprised how many students don't make it to the beach as much as they'd like to. We get so caught up in everything we have to get done that sometimes we forget we're surrounded by paradise. The beach (if it's even there) looks different each day. This time most of the sand was gone, leaving little streams of water in between rocks where the sand usually is.  We ended up spotting a pod dolphins off the coast of Isla Vista swimming near shore. A UCSB student left his Del Playa house in a hurry to join them with his surfboard. Even though I wished I were him in that moment, it was a magical moment to witness! Those are the type of things people put on their bucket lists and dream about.



Speaking of dreams, ya girl is currently working/volunteering for several jobs that all have to do with a future career in journalism:



— Blogger
— Reporter/Writer/Editor
— TVSB Intern


This may not seem as big of a deal to you as it is to me, but I've come a long way to get to this point. Nearly my whole life I've felt like a victim to everything that was being thrown at me. Everything negative always seemed to drag me down with it one bad thing after the other. As a kid, I felt completely helpless that I couldn't have control over my life. One day, a family member told me that I could simply "choose to be happy." Then, I didn't understand, but now, I do. The day I turned 19 is the day I completely understood. Growing up, my favorite number was (and still is) 19 because I knew that it'd be the first, full year I'd be own my own. As my long-time readers know, I was broken up with on my 19th birthday. I couldn't do it myself because at the time, getting hurt was all I knew and having control was foreign. Being as open and honest as I can be, that was one of the best birthday presents I could've received because I realized that I can have control over my life. I can and should discard the things that make me sad and I can and should embrace the things that make me happy. Ever since that day, I've been an independent woman healing my wounds, searching and sticking up for myself, making memories and gaining knowledge, and most importantly taking care of myself. For those of you that are struggling, know that if there is any crucial time to do any of this, it is now. Not only are we born into a new life when we begin college, we are born again every day.



I want to end this blog post by saying that for the first time in my life, everything seems to be falling into place. I choose to chase happiness with a full on sprint and jump life's hurdles instead of letting them trip me. I've been yearning for this feeling forever and it's only the beginning! Lately I've noticed even though things have been going well, I still worry that pending things won't. And hey, sometimes things won't go as planned and that's what makes life exciting. As someone battling anxiety, that is something I still have to work on. I'm sure as I continue on this path, every positive instance will collect and assure me that everything will turn out okay....just like I did :)


Click here to read my first story on The Channels as a campus government reporter!

No comments:

Post a Comment