Wednesday, January 25, 2017

I'm an Editor!


Hi everyone!  I hope you're all getting settled into your new classes! I on the other hand am anything but settled. Many exciting things are happening and I'm trying to find a way to handle them all at once. Hopefully I'll feel more adjusted soon. 


However, with hard work comes great reward. You are looking at the new Opinion Editor for The Channels! 

That is the exciting news I've been wanting to share with you all for so long! I wanted to make sure everything would work out and find out what section editor I'd become before I said anything. 

At first, I was hesitant to become an editor due to its huge responsibility and time commitment. I had to sit down and think about what was best for me. I knew it would get stressful, but I also knew it would look superb on a résumé. I've realized that in life, it's worse regretting the things you don't do rather than the things you do. Over winter break my teacher emailed me hoping that I was still considering joining the Ed Board. She explained that she'd love to see The Channels benefit from my talent. When she mentioned that, I immediately decided I should go for it! The Channels has given me so many opportunities and it'd be silly to let one this slip by. 

So...Why did I decided to become an opinion editor? At the moment, there are several different section editors: news, arts/entertainment, features, sports, and opinion. There is also a photo editor and the editor in chief (team leader). All of the editors are new this semester because everyone left. I ruled out being editor in chief because I knew that if I were to ever take on a position like that, I would want to put all my effort into it. Right now, my main priority is to get myself ready to graduate and transfer, while also juggling as many journalism opportunities as I can take on. When I looked at all of the other options, I had to decide what it was I wanted to get out of all this hard work. I knew how gratifying it felt when I wrote my first column. Also, I wanted to have fun with my section and help spread awareness about student lives and bigger picture things happening outside of school. That's when I knew I wanted to be an opinion editor.

Along with being an opinion editor, I'll still be writing and reporting for The Channels. I'll be covering the Board of Trustees under the campus government beat this semester! This means I will be covering the board meetings where they make decisions and determine general policies that govern the entire District and our city college. 

Compared to everything else I'm working on, this blog is what I've been working on the longest. Despite my busy schedule, I couldn't imagine giving this up before graduating. Keep patient with me and I promise you I will do my best to stay in touch! Right now I'm blogging for City College, writing and reporting for The Channels, editing for The Channels, and interning at TVSB. It's a lot of responsibilities, but I just turned 21 this past weekend so the "adulting" along with its fun has just begun. Thank you all for reading along my journey with me. What a beginning to my last semester here!

No comments:

Post a Comment