Saturday, February 4, 2017

SBIFF: Ryan Gosling & Emma Stone

Not only were the director of La La Land Damien Chazelle, and actors Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone awarded last night, so was I.

Yesterday morning, I received an email back from my supervisor at TVSB saying I could join the crew at the Santa Barbara International Film Festival to interview Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone. Despite my already busy day at The Channels, I knew I had to take this rewarding opportunity!

I also knew going into it, joining an aggressive crowd of press wasn't my thing. I'm not the type of person who gets star-struck. I think celebrities are just normal people who are talented with highly, publicly displayed jobs. If I ever get giddy seeing or meeting a well-known person, it's when they've inspired me personally or have done something extreme to positively impact the world (for example: Bernie Sanders and Robin Meade).

My main goal as a journalist is to be the voice of the people for the people by spreading awareness that attributes to making this world a better place. Within a couple weeks, I'll be releasing a personal column with The Channels that will go into further detail about my view on the media as a journalism student today.

I know some of you are dying to know so I'll just say it now. Yes, Ryan Gosling was even more beautiful in person and so was Emma Stone.

Unfortunately since I was informed about being able to go to the event last minute, I wasn't as prepared as I could've been. My crew consisted of three people total including myself. One person recorded video, one person reported, and I took pictures. While I would've loved to broadcast, I didn't feel like I was ready yet. I've only taken writing classes and I'm only beginning to experience what broadcasting is like by interning at TVSB. Also, the other two people on my crew signed up first, so they deserved first pick. Only two people were supposed to go in the first place, but I guess me going was meant to be!


My other two crew members and I separated at the red carpet. They were at the end of it filming while I stood on a platform smack-dab in the middle of it amongst all the craziness. It was terrifying, yet exhilarating at the same time. The best part about this entire experience was being surrounded by local news stations and professional anchors and reporters. It gave me an opportunity to make connections and experience the real world of media outside of school. I stood by Ken Boxer from Ken Boxer Live and a female anchor from KEYT. I wanted to introduce myself to her, but didn't get the chance to talk to her by the time she was done talking with someone else. On the bright side, I met an anchor from KSBY who ended up giving me her business card. An employee of my internship at TV Santa Barbara also gave me the contact information of a host from a show they produce there who is also a columnist for our local newspaper, the Independent.

By the end of the night, I had taken pictures and a few videos of Ryan, Emma, and Damien. My other two crew members weren't able to get a filmed interview with Ryan or Emma because they were rushed off the carpet to go inside for the event, but I was with them when they interviewed Damien, the writer and director.

Before I left, Ken Boxer apologized to me for being "rude." He kind of had to kick me out of the spot I was in, but it all ended up working out and I'm not at a professional point yet so it wasn't a big deal. He also told me he thought I was taller after I was off the platform. Something tells me I will be getting that a lot... (5'2" and proud)!

No comments:

Post a Comment