Friday, September 30, 2016

Finders Keepers?

A couple weeks ago, my roommate was roaming around in IV and came across a stray dog. Not knowing, I woke up to the sound of a pitter-patter on the floor next to me. I turned around and there were two yellow, glowing eyes staring right at me. What do I do? I scream. It was one of those bittersweet moments where something absolutely terrifies you for a split second and then the next warms your heart.
Since my roommate found him, she named him "Jack" (my little brother's name) and tried to find the owner. She posted on Craigslist and SBCC IV Buy/Sell/Trade, walked around the street knocking on doors, and took Jack to the Humane Society. You may notice in the pictures that Jack has a collar. Well, that collar had no name and no contact information. I'm sorry if I sound judgmental, but that was a complete irresponsible decision on the owner's part. On top of the collar having no name tag, the Humane Society found that Jack was not chipped either.


We had Jack for almost a week waiting for the owner to reach out to us. He followed us around the house constantly, woke us up early in the morning, peed in the apartment even though we took him out several times, tried to escape everytime we opened the door, and never let us eat in peace. Above everything, I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy his company. He comforted me and brought out laughter in me that I haven't had since my own pug, Guinness passed. I actually have my dog's old leash in my apartment with me, so we used it while we took care of Jack. My only question is....why couldn't he be a pug? The answer to that is that no matter how much I am desperately wanting or feel like I'm needing dog right now, I shouldn't have one. If he was a pug, I wouldn't have been able to let him go.

Currently Jack stays with two of our friends. Our apartment doesn't allow dogs, so we were not able to keep him anyway. One person from Craigslist reached out to my roommate and told her that he was theirs. He sent her a picture that was not his, it was off the internet. The picture came from a Vine account that was of three dogs of the same breed, but they were all girls. Jack is a boy. After my roommate informed the Craigslist person that she knew that, they never responded. Moral of the story is that we as college students have so much going on in our constantly changing lives that having a dog might interfere. Before Jack came into our home, I thought I could make having a dog work during this time of my life if I really wanted one. I still so desperately want my dream pug, but right now is not the right time. I will know when it is.


Here is a link to my last Channels article! I covered the Send Silence Packing exhibit.
Backpacks cover SBCC, bringing awareness to student suicide

No comments:

Post a Comment