Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Revolving Work Around School

Hello fellow CC mates. Ny name is Tired, last name Exhausted!

When you have to be cheesy and use Photo Booth in
Graphic Design to post to the class forum.

Hopefully my name will go back to Angela, last name Bickmann in a couple weeks. It's the plan! Right now is just the greatest time with new classes starting and moving up to a new position at work all at once. However, within a week or two I hope to not be saying that so sarcastically. At the moment I'm working as a host and expo, which is giving me almost double the amount of shifts I want to handle. Slowly but surely they are fixing my work schedule week by week to eventually get it how I would like for it to be.
Here are my thoughts for a decent work schedule as a college student depending on how you function best as a student:

Typical Angela accidentally
hurting herself doing anything.
This happened to be while slicing
my favorite sourdough bread on
my second day training at work. Am
I fit for the job now?
Try to not work during the days you have school if you can, or when you have a ton of classes!
 Between last semester and starting this semester, I've noticed it is incredibly difficult to go to school, work, and come back and do homework all in the same day. Last semester I had squeezed my classes into Tues-Thurs and worked Mon, Wed, Fri. Wednesdays were always my tough days with all the homework I had due on Thursdays. This semester I am going to school Mon-Thurs and (in a couple weeks) will be working Sat, Sun, Mon. However, Mondays shouldn't be tough for me because I only have one, easy class on Tuesdays where as Thursdays last semester I had 3 classes. Make sure your managers understand that not only is working important to you, but that school is as well. I recently decided to tell mine that I would rather work three days a week instead of five or four like the scheduled me because of school. They were more than understanding. Currently they are working on fixing that for me!

Give yourself a day or two to be able to leave town if you need to. We all need that refreshing moment with family or old friends when things get stressful!
This is a big one for me when anxiety catches up to me. It can also be crucial for the students who are having roommate troubles, which can be very common. Personally, I like to know that if I am having a stressful week, I will have a couple consecutive days where I can get away from it all and not have to worry about trying to get someone to cover my shift at work. That can be stressful enough as is! Last semester I had Saturdays and Sundays off work and school. This semester I will be having Thursdays at school, but off work and Fridays off both school and work. So this semester if I want to get away, I can leave town Thursday after school in the afternoon and come back Saturday afternoon before work in the evening.


Remember that school comes before work! Always, always, always.
Between classes, take a breather! (Or a picture in this case)
#bloggerprobz
You have the rest of your life to work after you graduate college. That's why there things such as student loans, grants, and scholarships. Don't get me wrong, I know it's scary to know you're using money you may eventually have to pay off. However, if working is bringing down your grades because you simply don't have the time to try or study, then it can get very overwhelming. I'm fortunate enough to have college payments and rent covered for me. I work so I don't completely run out of money by the time I graduate. Also, I work to be able to be able to pay for my car, gas, and anything else that is not a necessity (like shopping, gym membership, traveling, going out to eat, etc).  It all adds up folks! I'm trying to be smart about it and we all should try to be. If loans, grants, scholarships, and working the days that won't stress you out isn't enough for you and your bank account, you may want to consider taking a break from school. I encourage you not to, but if it's all to overwhelming to do at once, then it may be the right decision for you! Remember, college is the time to put you as your top priority. You don't have to worrying about what everyone else is doing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment