Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Voices

For the past two weeks, I have been working on filming and editing for The Channels. On top of written articles, the school newspaper has these videos called "Voices" that are published every week. Three staff members will get assigned a specific question every week to ask people who are walking around campus. The photographers work with the camera, while the writers switch off between interviewing and recording audio.

Our little film news crew was assigned two questions to report in two separate weeks, those being: "What class have you grown to love?" and "Describe the weirdest living situation you've ever experienced."

To the right I am holding a boom mic that is clearly taller than myself. I recorded the audio for "What class have you grown to love?" It was definitely a struggle being short and small, holding the boom mic up close and above the person being interviewed, but also out of video frame. Imagine a person carrying this, walking around campus. It can be pretty intimidating. I felt like a news crew nerd, in a good way. It was an awesome experience that taught me more about the broadcasting side of journalism.


As for interviewing, it was mainly all the same. The only difference I experienced while interviewing people for "Describe the weirdest living situation you've ever experienced" was receiving a lot of rejection. People see the camera and the boom mic and suddenly go into shy-mode. Not going to lie, every time it happened I got more and more frustrated. I've been learning by experience to block out taking rejection personally, but it was early in the morning and after 20+ times, around 15 of those in a row, it became harder and harder to build up the courage to ask another person.


After we got all the video footage needed, we had to use this video-editing program and put everything together, which ended up taking hours upon hours because there is so much editing involved. The person who was reporting (interviewing) the students, records their voice asking the question for the beginning of the Voices video. Before announcing each question you have to say, "This week The Channels asks students.....(then the question)." There is a funny audio clip I saved where I messed up that I specifically saved for this blog, but it wouldn't let me upload it. I don't believe that will be the first and only time when that happens, especially if I continue broadcast! That tends to happen in the field.

Voices gave me just enough experience and confidence to go into my internship orientation this Saturday. I will talk all about looking for internships in my next blog or two! Also, tomorrow I am going to one of the CSU Transfer Workshops in hopes to get a better understanding on how to complete the applications, so I will talk about that as well. Things are happening and they are happening fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment