Tuesday, November 17, 2015

My Major is...

JOURNALISM!!!

UCLA vs. Washington State Football game 11/14/15
It's sort of silly actually...all along when I would change my mind thinking I should do something else with my major, I would always go back to writing. Ever since I was 10 years old and my aunt told me I wrote such expressive emails and after I was awarded with the best creative writing in my sixth grade class, I knew. I still know to this day because whenever I finish a piece of writing including schooling, blogging, anything, I feel complete. I feel accomplished and content after I get back to the real world, after being lost in this writing zone I get into, and that's how I know. At least journalism is the basic foundation of my major. I might minor in something. I might head a graphic design route or maybe even a broadcasting route. Who knows! College is the time in our lives where we are start to figure out important things that set us up for our future. Figuring out what my major was going to be took a long time. Better safe than sorry and extra schooling and tuition though!  I knocked out a lot of General Education classes along the way to keep myself in the school zone. However, after Fall 2014, Spring 2015, Summer Session II 2015, and Fall 2015 semesters of nothing but General Ed classes with a touch of Ocean Swimming, I've realized I need to start schooling on the things I love. I was and am still sort of losing my mind with these Gen Ed classes. You know, the ones we've been taking since Kindergarten? Let me tell ya as a writing major, these high college level math and science lab classes are testing me...literally. Gen Eds... hate 'em, gotta do 'em. 

If you need help figuring out your major I have some tips and tricks for you that I've done myself! 
  • Go to the Career Center. They are the specific place in the student services building that is meant to help you decide on you major and your future career. There are all sorts of tests to take that can help you realize what you're good at or may enjoy as well. Surprisingly they aren't usually busy, but you can make an appointment or just walk in! If you go in, ask for the eureka.org code, it's a website that can help you for further information at home. (PS: Keep in mind that a lot of people get jobs in which they didn't have a background major in college for. This was what stressed me out on settling on a major this whole time.)
    Helpful looking book I found in the library today!
  • Narrow down what schools you want to go to (but don't be too picky). I've always wanted to go to either UCSB or at the very top of my list (my dream school) UCLA. However, as life has taught me, things don't always work out the way you want them to. There's this website that's help full to visit called assist.org. It has a list of UC and CSU schools and it tells you which schools have what majors. It also informs you on what classes you'll need to take at SBCC to be considered to transfer to their school. I had visited this website knowing that I for sure only wanted to look at SoCal schools. Turns out only CSULB (Cal State Long Beach) and SDSU (San Diego State University) have a journalism major as an option. Both areas I'm pretty unfamiliar with which is kind of intimidating. However, I've let it process in my mind and I've come to realize that it is more important that I go to a school that has the major I want instead of one that doesn't. Your career is the rest of your life until you retire, the college you go to is only a couple years of your life. I'd rather have the job I want for 30 plus years rather than the school I want for just a couple!
I hope this was helpful. There will be many more updates on my transfer process as time passes by. In the mean time, I'll keep on studying on at SBCC!!

1 comment:

  1. Woo Hoo Washington State won!!!!! Uncle D here from the state of WA.

    ReplyDelete