Thursday, May 18, 2017

Goodbye SBCC, Hello CSUN!!!

I HAVE A DEGREE!!!!!

Graduation day started out cloudy and chilly. All of a sudden in the middle of graduation practice there wasn't a single cloud in the sky. The sun beat down on all of us graduates who were oh so excited to wear our black cap and gowns.

My dad picked me up from practice and we immediately drove home so I could get ready for the ceremony. He packed the dishes I was afraid to pack while I was getting ready because the next day I was going to move most of my stuff!

He dropped me off at Julia's family's hotel so he could get to the college early to save seats. And what do you know, my car wouldn't start! Thankfully my dad had my uncle's car back at my apartment, so Julia's dad drove him back to get it. I called to get my car towed from the hotel and had it taken to an auto repair shop.
Ready for the ceremony!
It was so random and inconvenient because it was working just fine before! Thankfully it was towed in time. Between that, the traffic, and the blocked street near school Julia and I ended up being close to the back of the line of graduates even though we were still on time.

I instantly regretted wearing my sky-high wedges that I've only worn one time for the senior year prom. In line I stood with Julia and two other graduates from The Channels staff. After walking to our seats, we ended up being in the last row which was strange because usually I'm near the front alphabettically. I was the second to last to graduate!


My dad saved seats for Julia and I's family and friends right in the middle of the bleachers in the seventh row.  We turned back and waved to them many times throughout the ceremony.

Saving the best for last, it was our row's turn to walk towards the stage. When we got up to the stairs, we were told to run across the stage because there were less people on the other side. I was looking forward to shaking President Beebe's hand, but I was still excited to receive the empty diploma holder from Vice President Trustee Jonathan Abboud. I've wrote two profiles on him. In fact, I knew Beebe and all of the Board of Trustee members up there from covering them all semester— so that all added to the experience!
Julia was standing right in front of me and it was amazing to watch my best friend receive her degree and share the experience with her! I was looking forward to hearing "associate in arts journalism," after my name but I think I was too focused on not tripping and being shocked that this was actually happening.

The firm handshake signified how strong I finished off here at SBCC.

I walked down in between the huge line of trustees and faculty and ran into The Channels teacher Patricia and gave her a big hug. She sat near us during the ceremony and I ran into Melanie and Sammy, my editor in chief from fall semester, as well. It was the perfect send off to CSUN!

My dad flew in from Virginia to visit
After the ceremony Julia and I met with our family and friends to take pictures. Then we drove to Casa Blanca for our dinner reservation. We were there for three hours! We even had dinner together at her grandpa's restaurant the next day. Our family and my friends all bonded together so well it was like one big happy family!

My dad and her grandpa gave speeches at the dinner. My dad gave me photo albums including many years of pictures and a palm tree and martini pandora charm to represent my 21st birthday and my time here in Santa Barbara. Julia's grandpa also gave a heartwarming speech about us two girls starting this new journey together.

The next day I moved out the majority of my stuff and I spent a few more days with my dad. Now here I am at Starbucks writing my last blog post out of 138 before I move in less than two weeks.

Wow, I just got stuck writing this. I'm about to say my last words to you guys on this blog. This is crazy!!! Aaaaaand here come the tears.

If it weren't for my dear Great Great Aunt Sally's help, I wouldn't have been able to fulfill my dream of moving back to California for college. She lived in Northridge and passed away the day I moved out here after I graduated high school. She was like a mother to my mom and a grandmother to me. I know she is still watching and is so excited to see how far I go.

Glad all the guest could see the ocean view!!! The graduates sat too low in
our seats hahaha
I cannot express how thankful and honored I am to have received my education at Santa Barbara City College. I not only became more knowledgeable in my education, but have grown as a person here.

SBCC is truly the best community college out there.

While I will miss this place, I'm ready to move forward with my education and the opportunities that await. I will visit for vacation as this place is typically known for. And hey, maybe in the future I'll end up with a job working for the Santa Barbara Independent or KEYT.

I wish all of you new, current and alumni SBCC students the best of luck in continuing your education and finding out what truly makes you happy.

My final advice to all of you is to use your college experience as a tool to make your aspirations in life a reality.

This blog has received almost 40,000 views over the past three years!!! Granted some of it may be spam, but most of it is from all of you— truly making me feel like continuing down a career path like this is possible!

I want to thank my fellow students, family, friends, and international students from around the world for taking interest and supporting my dreams!

Here is the link to my website I created this summer: angela-rose.com !!!

I'm so excited to continue this as an independent blogger :) Subscribe to the newsletter on the blog tab to get notified whenever I post a new blog!

pc: John Rose


Signing off as a proud alumni of Santa Barbara City College,



Angela Rose Bickmann 


No comments:

Post a Comment