Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Ocean Kayaking

Once upon a time, a long, long time ago, I began my first semester at SBCC by taking an Ocean Swimming class. Here I am attending my last semester, and there was no way I wasn't going to take advantage of that!

So—I am taking an Ocean Kayaking class!

Ironically, I signed up for this class to have fun and enjoy the rest of my time here, but that's not exactly how I feel waking up at 6:45am to make it to school before 8. However, once I get into the kayak, I instantly awaken and am grateful for the experience.


The first day of class, I walked into an overflowing PE classroom full of students waiting for the teacher. When the teacher arrived, he welcomed the class with his British accent. That was the moment I thought 'YES I'm definitely going to enjoy this class!'

The beginning parts of this class wasn't to my liking. I was sick the day we had to take the swim test in the nearby pool, but I took it anyway because I didn't want to have to take the test swimming in the freezing ocean.
The next few classes consisted of practicing three different "saving techniques." We had to tip ourselves over off our kayaks into the (may I repeat) freezing Pacific water and perform different ways of getting back onto our kayaks. The first time I did this my body went into panic mode—not because I was scared of being deep out in the ocean, been there done that— but because the water was sincerely that cold on top of the wind. It felt as though my throat was closing up and my heart was beating slower with every second. At least that gave me the determination to get back on the kayak as quickly as possible. The intensity was real. After the saving technique steps, I lifted myself back onto the kayak with one mighty push of upper body strength.

We also started practicing kayaking against the waves near shore, but so far the waves haven't been big enough to knock us over (watch, I'll get knocked over next time for saying that).

If you take this class, I highly recommend you remember the days that you'll be practicing saving techniques because you'll want a wetsuit, especially during spring semester. Also, bring a pair of flip flops or waterproof shoes on board. The ice-cold metal deck you load your kayaks off of might just burn the bottom of your feet.

The past three classes have been cancelled due to fog or rain. But the best part about kayaking happened during the last class; we got to see wildlife! So far we have only seen sea lions being lazy on the buoys, but hopefully we will see dolphins soon! The pelicans welcome us out from the harbor every class.

Kayaking has now become a refreshing start to my Tuesday and Thursday mornings at school. The light sprinkle of sea water on my legs, bright sun on sunny days, and the often game of "bumper boats" surely wakes me up. We always meet at the Paddle Sports Center down at the harbor. After class, I walk back to my car, grab my bag to change in the nearby bathroom at Leadbetter Beach, and make my way up the hill to my next class.

This video was taken during my most recent Ocean Kayaking class. Sorry my feet were on display, but I could only put my GoPro on my life vest at the time! I wish I could've shown you how intense the saving techniques were, but I didn't want to risk the fishies stealing my GoPro at the bottom of the ocean.

I encourage you to take this class, or any other outdoor PE class at City College. My experience here in Santa Barbara wouldn't have been the same without these two classes! I wish I could've taken Beach Volleyball, but the timing of it never worked out with my other classes.

What will "workout" is my shoulders. These stunners will make you reconsider your next shoulder workout ;)

SBCC TV Commercial

No comments:

Post a Comment