Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Why Don't We Know?

Forewarning you....things are about to get a little chaotic. Upcoming transfer students, you know what I'm talking about! Before my blogs start to get all advising and academic, I'd like to catch you up first!
We Gaucho Back
Hello IV
My friend Joseph and I went to the Pardall Carnival last weekend. For some reason, after the two complete years I have been here, this was the first time I went. They had food, club kiosks, face painting, a ferris wheel, and games all in the center street of Isla Vista.  It was awesome to see all the residents walking around IV from high up! You really start to think....how many people do they shove into these houses? 
Recently I been attending a few Hillel events with my birthright friends. I enjoy it more this year now that I know people. Last year I went there to keep updated on my past birthright adventure. Now, every time I go to Hillel I can't help but be in shock that my birthright trip is a mere memory. I looked forward to this trip my whole life and now it's over. I apologize for not making a blog post about my trip yet, but I will eventually! I simply haven't had the time to make the iMovie because there are hundreds....and I mean hundreds of pictures/videos.
Cam Cam the Camel
I always walk into
Hillel thinking it's a dog

          Why Don't We Know?

I'm not sure what it is about the city college and the Santa Barbara area, but I feel like there are a lot of events and clubs that are happening that people don't get word of. For instance, this past weekend I covered an article about the SBCC Cosmetology Academy for The Channels. They informed me that maybe two percent of the school knows about them. They perform a range of cosmetology work at a very reduced price. Why didn't I ever know about this? 
Fun, random beach photoshoots with
your best friend are....the best! An
IV must do.
Another example is The Channels. I started going to SBCC in Fall 2014 and I didn't realize the school had a newspaper until Spring 2016. WHY DIDN'T I KNOW ABOUT THIS? I AM A JOURNALISM MAJOR FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. I guess I'm a curious person and that's why I love journalism. Media informs me about what's going on in the world, so when I don't know about things I tend to freak out like I have been living in some sort of lie or some separate world. You should've seen me last night trying to stay awake and finish watching the Vice Presidential Debate when I clearly couldn't keep my eyes open. I am passionate about life and I don't want to miss out on anything it has to offer.
I could go on and on about things that I am just now figuring out as a third year student. I don't have the answer as to why or how the school can adverstise more efficiently. I do know that being a part of The Channels staff has been the most informative to me when it comes to learning about things going on around campus. Maybe because the newspaper is only online, students don't know about it. The internet is a distraction as it contains everything you could ever think of. Some say print will never die because of its unique ability to shut the world out when one is reading it. I'm interested in finding out whether more students would know about the school newspaper or read it more as a print or online form.

We are not a regular community college. This school feels like a university and I am grateful to be here. Maybe this is a lesson in disguise? Maybe we as college students are expected to find out things for ourselves. We are adults even though sometimes it doesn't feel like it. I think the main concept of this blog is to inform you that you gotta go out and find what you want. During childhood, we kind of just got told what we were going to do, what we were allowed to do, or what we should do. Now that we are adults, we have been set free to make our own decisions. This is the beginning to our lives that we  have the power to control the destiny of. Whatever it is you want to do, go out and make it happen!

I feel as though I am just now starting to figure out this concept of adulthood and I couldn't be more excited to finally have some control over my life! Gotta go start this transfer process! 

No comments:

Post a Comment